Bella's Blessings

Saturday, October 23, 2010

God Bless The University of Texas

           Well ever since I was a little girl, there was only one university I wanted to attend. Some of my fondest memories from childhood are UT Football Games. I clearly remember in 1969 at the age of 8, my dad running outside to grab the paper on a Tuesday morning to see if his beloved Longhorns were ranked #1 and they were! My Daddy grew up in Austin and that is where my mom and dad met. His father ( Charles Archibald Whatley) taught at UT for years. My dream of going to UT almost didn't come true. Back in 1979, the private school I attended was not accredited by the State of Texas and UT was not accepting any graduates from St. Thomas Episcopal. Interestingly enough, my brother (In 1982) and I were both accepted with no problem, yet I had classmates that had to fight to get in. We could never figure it out-perhaps it was the famous Whatley name. You know there is legend we have a gold mine in Mexico! So we have a long Whatley longhorn tradition. My brother went on to get his MBA at UT and I hope to get my PHD from there one day soon.  Both my girls will graduate from UT and both my sons are hardcore fans!  As many of you know Kirk and I met at UT.  We had our courtship there while attending many UT football games, baseball, games , and basketball games.  Both of Kirk's brothers graduated from UT as well.  So the University of Texas is part of my being.
              Jeremy and Kirk share season tickets to the games.  This is their thing that they do together and they both enjoy the time they have together.  Usually I watch the grandbabies or they stay at home in Oklahoma with their sweet momma, Luci.  Today, Jeremy could not come down, so I got to go.  Now it was not a good game- in fact UT lost.  What I enjoyed about it though, was how excited Kirk was for me to go with him.  We talked about all the things we used to do at UT and how much fun we had and how blessed we are to be living in Austin where we can be a part of the UT culture.  Here are some pictures from the game today.

These seats are awesome, they are at the Club level and you can sit inside if it is too hot or raining!  The buffet and the beer are nice also!  Thanks to Jeremy for this level of seats!!!!!

Kirk during the game- not so happy.....

Lynn and Kirk 30 years since our 1st UT game together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment