Bella's Blessings

Monday, May 23, 2011

Abbey Graduates!

The Motto at UT besides "Hook Em Horns" is "What Happens Here Changes the World." 

Somehow I believe that!  Our sweet Abbey Angel graduated with honors on Saturday with a Bachelors of Science Degree in Social Work from the University of Texas.  She comes from a long line of family that has graduated from UT and college in general.  My parents managed to send 4 children to college.  Three of their children have advanced degrees and my sister has her doctorate.  Kirk's parents sent three boys to college and Kirk has his MBA.  Kirk, myself, Kirk's parents and my parents worked hard to provide opportunities for their children.   I found myself feeling so inspired, not only thinking that this is our 3rd child to graduate from college, but also in thinking about Abbey and the journey she has chosen for her life.  We heard many fine speeches and saw lots of social workers walk across the stage.  Her Dean gave an inspiring speech about social workers and I found myself applying most of her examples to education as well.  She asked the question,"what do social workers really make?"  She talked about that social worker:
who helps an alcoholic find an AA group to join
who makes that foster child in his 4th foster home for the year, feel like the most important person in the world,
who helps an infertile couple adopt a child
who makes safe places for abused children
who makes  arrangements for the terminally ill to stay at home in their last days
who helps that young widow or single mother know where to turn to  make sure they know what benefits they are eligible for
who make visits in neighborhoods that most people won’t go to on a bet, because they know people there are in need
who listen to the elderly, mentally ill, and lonely and have the skills to help them make their life better

So what do social workers make- they make a difference.

She then asked us if we could say that about our jobs.  I found myself so proud of Abbey and proud of my job in education.  I look with awe and excitement as I watch Abbey " change the world. "  Her journey has just begun. Congratulations Abbey Christine!


Abbey with Momses and Papa - Always supportive of education

Abbey with proud parents!

Abbey with her boyfriend, Justin

This is my Angel- at her party
Count your Blessings, Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment