Bella's Blessings

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oh What A Week in Texas Schools

Had a great week at my school with the awesome faculty I am privileged to work with everyday and the students and families I work with.  I love me job and I love public education and all that is stands for.  Yes I know there are problems as in any big system, but what is happening in Texas to our schools is unthinkable.  So we know there will be cuts in the budget due to the economy etc.. We received an email from our Superintendent on Tuesday that the cuts will be worse than anticipated- bottom line teachers will lose jobs, classes will be huge, and students will not have a good learning environment.  I could go on and on about the state of our economy and that there is not money and everyone has to pay the price.... blah,blah,blah.  but what about the children?  This is serious stuff folks- Until you have sat in a middle school classroom with  40 kids and tried to teach and learn -well,  it just can't happen.  Learning does not take place and students suffer.  Governor Perry is talking a 10 billion cut from education in the state of Texas.  For my district that could mean 74 million.  For my school that could mean 12 teachers- unbelievable!  I implore all of you to email your legislator, email Perry and let them know that our children have to be the priority.  There is a "rainy day" fund in Texas  that Gov. Perry can use to help our children.  He has stated he doesn't want to tap into that.  Well we have a monsoon and it's raining hard and hurting our children.  Here is the website to find who your legislators are:

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

Write them-email then- they have to listen

Here are some quotes on Education:




I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.





Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)


The foundation of every state is the education of its youth.





Diogenes Laertius




 ( Courtesy of Luci Smith photography )
"Greatest Love Of All"

I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way

1 comment:

  1. Lynn, I feel your pain for our students. For those of us who love education and care about our children, what the state of Texas is doing is unthinkable. I used to believe that Texas would never be a place where this can happen. You are right: we have to stand up for what we believe to be right. But we also have to remember that God has put us in this school together for a reason. Together we can continue to make a difference. Together we can weather any storm, batten down the hatches, and make it through. We will continue to teach and reach our kids IN SPITE OF these cuts!! I know it will be a difficult time for us all, but all we really need is each other and a positive attitude. That positive attitude will be tested at times, but we will have each other to lean on.

    Hang on, everyone. It will be a bumpy ride, but they don't know who they are messing with!

    ReplyDelete