Bella's Blessings

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hopes, Dreams, and Expectations

There is a quote I love about change:

"The only thing that is constant is change".

The Smith Family is in a state of change these days.  Brooke and Travis are in Lafayette waiting for baby Hudson to come.  Jeremy and Luci are in Oklahoma raising their two beautiful babies- Finley and Carter.  Abbey is about ready to graduate and thinking about grad school and her boyfriend Justin. Connor is close to finishing high school ( okay I know he is only a sophomore).  So Kirk and I have begun to talk about our future and our hopes and dreams. We each have a minimum  of 12 years left to work, so the questions we have to answer.  What do we want for our future? Where do we want to live? Do we even want the same things?  How do we plan to meet our expectations? 

You guys that know me, know long term strategic planning for schools is something I enjoy doing and have gotten good at over the years.  My life, well that is a different story.  I was always going to marry, have children, raise them, have grandchildren, and basically do anything I wanted within reason.  Well along came my in reason- Kirk Smith.  He just wanted a simple life- a good job, a family, a wife that loved him, and of course no debt. So we have begun the conversation.  Those of you that have known us over the years know this conversation can be quite tenuous and will most likely take two years to complete by the time Connor graduates.

The conversations go something like this:

Lynn  " I want a lake house where all the kids can come, a big boat, and want to travel all over the world"

Kirk   " I want no debt and to live within our means"

Lynn " I know honey- we will but I want a lake house, big boat , and to take my family on vacations"

Kirk " you frustrate me- we have to pay off the house, pay off the boat, pay off the cars, etc......" ( I have stopped listening at this point).

So you see a classic case of he sees the trees in the forest (every single one)  and I see the beautiful forest!

Stay tuned! We will continue the conversation and will come to some resolution which will bring us both joy and happiness in our lives. Right now here are some new pics from our visit with Brooke and Travis and our beautiful grandchildren in Oklahoma!

Count Your Blessings, Bella!


Brooke and Travis at the Tabasco plant in Lafayette. They have a new flavor now, Chipolte.

Jeremy and Carter Man

Finley with her Bo

Baby Hudson's New Nursery!

No comments:

Post a Comment